Saturday, February 18, 2012

Will Run for Pancakes

A meetup I couldn't refuse.  It was as if the GP Runners said,
How can we get John to join us on a run?  I know, he raced the PoHo Hot Cocoa with the promise of chocolate at the finish line.  Maybe we can get him with pancakes!

Disclaimer:  These are not from OPH.

And it wasn't just any pancakes.  We're talking the Mecca of pancake lovers, The Original Pancake House.  We would meet in the OPH parking lot at 6am, head out and return around 8 for pancakey goodness. Some people had the goal of 10 miles, while a small subgroup said they'd do more like 7.  Hal told me my long run this week should be 6, so I figured I would join the 'slow group', get my miles in and feast. 

What really happened...
I showed up a few minutes past 6am.  As soon as I got out of my car I see the group taking off, but one person paused, "John?  You cut it close, come on!"  I joined up with the gang and took off for about a mile when I realized this group showed no signs of splitting.  We took a potty break a few miles in at Kroger and I was able to converse a little waiting for everyone.
"So you're doing the full 10?"
"I haven't ran 10 since the Freep!"
"Well how far have you gone this year?"
"I did 7 in early January."
"Thats close enough."
Yeah that 7mi was at like a 10:30 pace, but I didn't mention that to a bunch of people who don't seem to think back to back 10 mi runs in the 9s is a lot.  So there I was, new guy trying my hardest to keep up.  After mile 5, we split three ways.  Angela, who kept the conversation going with me the whole run, stayed back with me.  I was really greatful for it, because I would have probably walked if left alone.

We finally made it back to Pancake Mecca and as we were about to cross the street, we were told that we're only at 9.6 mi.  Reluctantly, we did a short out and back to make it 10...

Stop.... Pancake Time!

While enjoying my buttermilk beauties and necter of the gods, Cadillac Coffee, I did the math (no Garmin today) and even with the potty break total duration was no more than 1:40. I just ran sub 10 for 10, a feat I'm pretty sure I haven't done before.

Lesson learned: sometimes it just takes a little peer pressure and pancakes to push the limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment